Friday, February 29, 2008

My Unforgettable moments

My Unforgettable Moments: All in a Game




While I was in the Academy at Dehra Dun decades ago, I was grilled into a British type Army. As Gentlemen Cadets, we were expected to be always in full suit with a hat. While walking on the road, whenever we came across wife of an officer we used to bow to her slightly lifting the hat. By the time I left the Academy, my hat developed a worn-out patch with a hole at the crown and brim. I had to throw away the hat while leaving the Academy. Now-a-days, no one wishes ladies in such a manner. You will be peculiarly looked upon as if you are a Madagaskar Lemur.
While travelling on a bicycle, if you come across an officer, you have to wish him and pay respects by stiffening up and tightening the arms holding the handle. Once or twice, I fell down doing this in Academy as I crashed into another cycle coming from opposite direction. Even after 35 years, my fingers pain occassionally in cold weather while I curse in despair. If you are sitting in a gathering, the group or individual has to pay respects, by stretching hands over your crossed legs and put up a grim face without a smile. After retirement also, I happened to do this when I was sitting in a Saibaba temple. The priest saw this, came to me worried and asked me whether I was suffering from stiffness of joints or convulsions. I was much upset when I heard his words and with great difficulty overcame the age-old practice.
While in the army units, at officers mess we used to attend dinner nights atleast twice a week. In those days, dinner night was attended in olive green bush-shirt with long sleeves rolled down with a cloth belt. After one or two small pegs of drink, we used to go for dinner in British style. We could never have a full meal. Invariably, I used to again swallow bread in my room when I returned. The atmosphere at the table used to be serious as if we sat mourning someone's death. I always hated those dinner nights as I used to go home hungry.
Dinner nights at Military College at Secunderabad were common. During those days, in severe summer, we used to be in white patrols with a closed jodhpuri collar, medals, rank badges etc. We swet like pigs in smouldering heat in the nights. It was more a punishment than a ceremonial function. With hundreds of officers, the halls used to be filled, food used to be served in English fashion with no time to eat. When the Commandant closed his plate, all of us had to also close. Invariably, the senior guys suffered from diabetes, blood pressure or gas trouble. They could hardly eat and used to close the plate too soon. Poor youngsters had to go hungry while plenty of chicken and rolls were wasted. Then, we had to drink a toast in honour of the President. Earlier, wine used to be passed on to the officers across the long table. With increasing morals apparently for outward show, only water used to be passed in decanters to fill wine cups. Then all of us used to drink water as a toast to the President of India. Invariably, the dinner nights were held when some staff members of the College used to go on posting or retirement. After some time, three or four guys from band of Regimental Centre used to go around the room playing bag pipes and in the last used to stand behind senior guys playing the pipes and also swaying in between. This could wake up everyone half dozing or asleep. Finally, the Commandant used to offer two large pegs of neat rum to the head of the pipers and on-the-spot he used to gulp it. After giving a smart salute, the pipers used to go away.
During earlier days, lady wives were not permitted into the mess dining halls and they had to be entertained in ladies room. They could not take food on the dining table along with officers. Now, I find wives of outgoing/retiring senior guys also occupying seats in dining hall during regimental dinner nights along with their husbands. I also find photographs of such occasions in corps journals where lady wives are seen giggling along with their hubbies during dinner nights. Best of luck to the innovators!
- Col Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: