Tuesday, July 3, 2012

INTO THE PAST WITH PAIN...271


                               INTO THE PAST WITH PAIN…271
                                       Dr K Prabhakar Rao


( It is a rainy day and water is seen  gushing  on the streets of Delhi and  people are caught suddenly with the downpour. Gandhi, Patel and Nehru are also caught  in the rain and they are stranded at a bus shelter. Gandhi is without any shawl and is holding his long stick while Nehru and Patel are well clad.)

Gandhi. Patel. We are caught in this rain badly. It looks there is no way out for us. I am feeling cold too ( He shivers).

Patel. True Bapu, I am sure the rain will not stop soon. We are destined to suffer.

Gandhi. This is not new. We have been suffering since long. First we suffered under the Muslims for nearly 6 centuries.. Then we suffered under the Europeans for another two centuries. Now we are suffering in self rule in  the hands of our own people after electing them to various positions after getting independence. Suffering is our destiny ( sings)

Look at ourselves oh my dear
We have been suffering  all the time
This rain and sun have no meaning to us
And we must be happy singing a  rhyme.

On looker. I am  Vikram. Hello. Look old man. You sang  very well. Are you a poet?

Patel. He is many of  things. He is not only a poet but also a  freedom fighter, writer,  philosopher, biographist, Editor, Humanist, lawyer and  Scientist.

Vikram. I think I have seen him some where. (Scratches his head). Yeah. I remember it. I saw him on Indian paper currency note.

Patel. Very true. He is MK Gandhi. The nation calls him Mahatma Gandhi. Every day Indians watch  him on the  notes and curse their fate to suffer in this free India.

Gandhi. I do not call myself as Mahatma. I never wanted my photograph to be printed on the notes. Others call me  as Mahatma.

Vikram. You appear to be modest and also acting very well. But he died long ago before I was born. My dad also was not born. How can be you be he?

Patel. This man is he and he is this man. You must accept that he is  this man and this man is he. No other man can be this man and this man can not be  another one like this. So he is this   and this is he. No other man is like him and he is not like other man.

Vikram. Eee..eee…aa..aaa.. ( pulls  his  hair ) I am confused..aa..aaa…eee….eeee..save me   and my brains… Better I leave this place soon before I get crazy.

( Vikram runs away from the place in thick of rain while others laugh)

Gandhi. Patel. You confused him so much. Poor Guy. Look, he ran away in rain without looking back. He may catch cold and get fever.

Patel. Bapu, Some how  we must get away from this place. Let us  get into an auto.

( He goes near few autos standing at the shelter. He speaks to  a driver)

Pael. Look Brother. We have to go to  New Delhi railway station. Will you take us?

Driver. Sir . It is raining  . How can we drive in this rain?

Patel. We are asking you because it is raining. Auto is meant to drive in rain also.

Driver. True sir. But roads in Delhi are very bad. At some places, auto may be drowned.

Nehru. Is it so? Are the roads so bad?

Gandhi. Some roads in Delhi are the same ones which Emperor Shahjehan laid..

Patel. Hee..hee.. Bapu, Come on . Please do not joke. All these are Tar roads. Shahjehan did not have the technology of laying Tar roads.

Gandhi. Look Mr Driver, we are old guys. So kindly take us.

Driver. Sorry. I can not take you.


   ( All the auto drivers refuse to operate and relax in their vehicles while some smoke.)

Gandhi. What to do now? No one is  accepting our request.

Patel.This is India Bapu. Let us see. Oh ! Another vehicle is coming.( He shouts) Auto..auto..auto..eee….eee… Please stop
      
               ( The auto stops and the driver peeps out)

Driver. Sir where you want to go?

Patel. Please take us to New Delhi Railway station.

Driver. OK. Please sit.
( The trio gets in and they are seated)

Gandhi. You appear to be a good driver. You are considerate too. May god bless you.

Driver. One has to be. We are after all humans. We have to help each other. We are only guests in this world for few days. Then why fight and hate each other?

Gandhi. You are very nice man. That is why country is still surviving midst crooks, thugs, thieves, dacoits, criminals, rapists, smugglers, corrupt, bandits, shady men, goondas, cheats, rogues, rascals, rowdies, killers and  assassins,  Who says there are no good people in the world?

Patel.  I  did not say that. Even Jawaharal did not say that.

Nehru. Thanks Patel.

Gandhi. LookPatel. Our problems is solved. Tomorrow I think we can not move about. There will be lot of police on roads.

Patel. Why?

Gandhi. Tomorrow nominations for President post will continue.

Patel. True. These elections are strange. President election has become a joke in this nation. People are fighting like cats.

Driver. Sir, who are all the candidates for the post?

Patel. Pranabji, Sangmaji, a Tea vendorji  and an auto driverji  are the candidates. The auto driverji   is a woman.

Driver. Why?  Can’t a woman contest?

Patel. Why not? She can contest.

Driver. Sir. That woman is me. I have filed nomination.

Patel. Oh! I thought you are a male.

Driver. I am a woman. I am putting on a Turban.

Patel. It is good that you are contesting. The country needs a peoples President. Sangma and Pranab are politicians and played lot of politics in their careers. Their lives were full of politics. An auto driver can make a good President. At least he will identify himself with a common man and understands his problems.

Nehru. Driver sahib. Will you be able to manage the job.

Driver. Why not? When I can a drive an auto on Delhi’s streets, why I can not manage my job? Any  how,  it is a ceremonial post. Do you know That Lau Pradasd’s wife was a just house wife working in her kitchen. She was made the CM of Bihar state. She managed the job  and became successful in her own way. Who is running the country now? I do not want to say more. Every one knows it. There are many lady ministers in states who became MLA after husbands death. They are all running the show. One lady is also a home Minster in one of the states. Recently  late YSR Rajsekhar Reddy’s wife also became an MLA and ruling her party. I can also be successful. Nothing can prevent me.

Patel. You are very confident. In fact all ministers, MLAs should be banned to contest the Presidents post even if they resign. It must be given to a common man.

Nehru. Patel. Do you know that President is the supreme commander of Defense forces?

Patel. I know it very much. Even if you put a stone in Presidents chair,  Defense forces will salute it. It is their duty. In democracy   they are like toothless tigers.  The title is only ceremonial.

Driver. Hope I can win the contest.

Patel. We wish you a success.

Driver. Thank you sir. If I become the President , I shall give you a special pass so that you can see me whenever you wish.

Patel. So nice of you. Thanks. We will be obliged.

Driver. Sir, We arrived at New Delhi station.

Patel. Thanks. What is the fare?

Driver. Leave it sir. I shall not take anything from you.

Gandhi. May god bless you with all happiness and success. May god give you Presidents chair. You deserve it most than the crooked politicians.

Driver. Thanks sir.

( The trio waves to the driver while the auto is driven off.  The trio walks into the station.) 

                                      CURTAIN FALLS

No comments: