Tuesday, March 10, 2009

IN TO THE PAST WITH PAIN..XXXII

INTO THE PAST WITH PAIN…XXXII

SCENE..XXXII

Prof Dr Colonel K Prabhakar Rao ( Retired)



(General Musharraf, the past Pak President is in India on a lecture visit and he is addressing some journalists. The gathering is large and there are many on- lookers. The former General is seated and there is some very strong security cover provided to him. The former President is answering some queries from the journalists and some important persons present there)

Journalist Anand. Good morning General sahib. Welcome to India. How are you spending time in Pakistan after your stepping down as President?

Musharraf. What is there? One has to adjust and find some new avenues. Initially I was also like any one and was a bit disturbed knowing that I wielded no more power and I had to go into oblivion.

Anand. That could have been very difficult indeed.

Musharraf. True. But soon I found my moorings. Look Mr. Anand! Every one in this world has to retire one day.

Anand. Sir. That appears more philosophical.

Musharraf. Initially there was some news that I may have to leave the country and settle some where. Then there was a talk of some guys suggesting my arrest and trial. Every thing fizzled out. Look I am in India too.

Anand. Sir . India is a very large hearted country. Forgiving has been the Indian motto. We believe in Live and let live. Some may also call it as a trait of incompetence. Some say Majboiori kaa nam hai Mahatma Gandhi.

Musharraf. Haa…haa.. That was good and nice too.

Journalist Mushtaq. General Saab. We welcome you to India. How about throwing some light on these terrorist attacks?

Musharraf. Look Mr. Mushtaq. Salaam wale kum. The real trouble between both the countries is the issue of Kashmir. As long as it is not resolved, these troubles will be there. There could be more Kargils even.

Mushataq. Every one believes that while being in army and commanding it, you were the architect of Kargil war.

Musharraf. That is all nonsense. I do not believe i.

Mushtaq. Sir You said , More Kargil could be there. Can we expect one this year?

Musharraf. How do I know? Mine was a prediction based on the issues.

( Suddenly there is a flash and MK Gandhi and Nehru and Patel appear at the gathering. They are seated in the crowd)

MK Gandhi. ( He gets up) Sir! May I ask a question?

Musharraf. Sure gentle man. You have dressed exactly like Gandhi. For a second I was lost and perplexed. I also see other tow guys dressed like Mr. Nehru and Patel and sitting with you.

Gandhi. General saab. We are not dressed like them. We are actually they.

Musharraf. Haa.. Haa. That’s all right. It is some thing amusing and good past time.

Gnadhi. Look ! General Musharraf sahib. It is very kind of you that you have come to India. Do you feel that you have come to an enemy country even after so may wars and troubles we had?

Musharraf. If the relations are so strained, probably I would have not been given a Visa. But I am in Delhi very much alive and kicking too. I am very comfortable too. I think our relations have not reached a point of no return.

Gandhi. That is good and kind of you Mr Musharraf.

Musharraf. Thanks sir.

Gandhi. Do you feel the response is not hostile because you are no more in the seat of power?

Musharraf. No. I do not think so. If the relations are so serious, there could have been serious demonstrations and un welcome editorials in the news papers. I did not find any thing like that. I may not be wielding power, but I was no doubt the key figure for the last 10 years in Pakistan. I had no diplomatic resistance too. Probably there could be some heart burns, but they are negligible.

Gandhi. Mr Musharraf. Do you think Kashmir problem can not be solved in peace?

Musharraf. I did not say that. Peaceful process no doubt did not resolve it. So there were many wars. I also feel that unless it is settled these struggles would continue.

Patel. General Sahib. Are you confident that Pakistan would be able to defeat India to grab Kashmir?

Musharraf. One has to be optimistic

Patel. Haa..haa…haa.. There can not be better answer to my question. That is good. But sir . Please also listen to this.

( Patel gets up and sings)

There could be many wars in future too
But you will surely win none
You may struggle day and night
Kashmir with India you can never see undone

Kindly go back to the first war on Kashmir
When your tribals and army created mayhem and murder in our land
Also please recall the befitting reply you received from us
And your army ran away playing withdrawal tune over brass band

(Musharraf moves uncomfortably in seat and soon regains composure)

Musharrf. Look Patel sahib. Those are the old days. Pakistan is now on different footing. We also have nuclear bombs. India can no more dominate us.

Patel. It is true to some extent. But nuclear weapons only can not win wars.

Musharraf. I agree. But fear of India has disappeared now once we made atom bombs.

Patel (within himself)…. It is our self failing. India allowed Pakistan to produce the bombs.

( Patel whispers to Nehru)

Patel. Look Jawaharlal. India allowed Pakistan to produce bombs and the result you have seen. We could not take any action against Pakistan after recent attacks on Bombay.

Jawaharlal. True to some extent. But could we prevent Pakistan from going nuclear? They enjoy US support greatly. They produced the bombs right under the nose of America.

Gandhi. Look ! friends! India never followed the policy of bullying the neighbors. You can see our neighbors like Sri Lanka, Nepal,, Burma and even Bhutan. We have no voice there.

Musharraf. I will be happy if you share your thoughts with me too.

Gandhi. There is nothing substantial Mr. Musharraf. What do you say about the recent attacks in Bombay?

Musharraf. Like any sane person I shall condemn them. Nothing can be achieved by such acts. I do not believe that India will collapse by such acts. These are simple terrorist attacks to create fear.

Nehru. Thank you sir. You are not subscribing to them. I am happy.

Musharraf. Look Mr. Jawaharlaalji. I also saw Madam Bhutto being killed in cold blood. There were many attempts on my life too. There were attacks on Mosques and during meetings. The terrorism in Pakistan can not undo Pak spirit. We shall over come them.

Gnadhi. Now it looks like that Pakistan will be taken over by Taliban

Musharraf. That is only a fear. I agree there were some reverses in Waziristan and Swat valley. But it does not mean that entire Pakistan would fall to the bearded men.

Nehru. Haa…haaa. That is good sir.

Patel. If Pakistan can not control Taliban, then it will be the end of your country sir.

Musharraf. That will never happen. We have strong army.

Nehru. Your army may take side with Taliban. Then it will be the end.

Musharraf. I do not think it will happen.

Patel. Sir! Time only will tell you.

Gandhi. Mr Musharraf. Recently I learnt from media that General Kayani has warned the Pak leader Zardari that he should set the country to order…

Patel. It also means that if he fails, Kayani will step in after a coup to save the country.

Musharraf. Army has to protect the nation from outside and inside forces.

Patel. That means do you subscribe to Army take over if things are bad?

Musharraf. I do not recommend it. But it could be inevitable if there is a chaos in the country.

Gandhi. Look Mr. Musharraf! In India we had some stable democracy all these years. Our Army never interfered in crisis even when Indira Gandhi imposed emergency after her defeat in election process through Allahabad high court case.

Musharraf. What can I say about your army? It is up to them.

Gandhi. Can I therefore conclude that Pak army will engineer coup under General Kayani if Zardari fails to control.

Musharraf. That could take place

Nehru. Will you be again the President then because you recently expressed that you do not mind taking up again if required. General Kayani was your man.

Musharraf. It is up to the nation. (Within himself) Will Kayani be so loyal? I doubt. Who shall leave the top post?

Gandhi. Mr. Musharraf! What will you do about 26/11 culprits if you again take over?

Musharraf. I shall do justice.

Patel. Sir! That is a vague answer.

Musharraf. Surely I shall put down such acts that serve no purpose

Gandhi. That is good. OK Mr. Musharraf. It has been a nice chat with you. May Allah bless you with peace, wisdom and comfort.Let your nation prosper. I pray to God for that.

Musharraf. Sir...Thank you. So nice of you.( ithin himself.... As if I do not have wisdom).

( Gandhi, Nehru and Patel vanish into space while all look astonished)

Dr K Prabhakar Rao

No comments: